What is the Difference Between An Annulment and a Divorce?

What is the difference between an annulment and a divorce? The basic difference between an annulment and a divorce is that a divorce ends the marriage contract, while an annulment voids the original contract, making it as if the marriage never happened. Another difference is that the grounds for divorce are far more general, while the grounds for annulment are more specific. In order to get an annulment, a spouse must prove that the marriage contract was invalid from the beginning. Many people seek to get an annulment out of religious convictions. Some grounds for annulment are as follows: –…

Read More
Can I Represent Myself in a Family Law Case in Orem Without an Attorney?

Can I represent myself in a family law case in Orem without an attorney? While it is possible for people to represent themselves in a divorce in Orem, it is not the best idea to do so. Family law is extremely complex and divorces are often fraught with emotional conflict. When people try to file a case pro se, they are prone to making costly mistakes, some due to problems with correctly submitting and serving paperwork, and others because the emotional nature of a divorce clouds people’s judgment. Here are several reasons you should choose to hire an attorney in…

Read More
What To Do When You’re Denied Visitation

What to do when you’re denied visitation Utah Visitation Rights Are you being denied visitation from the other parent? If you answered “yes”, you need to consult with an attorney. Not only is this morally wrong, but it’s also punishable by law. The other parent may be ordered to provide you with more time to make up for what you lost or have to pay a fine. Upon being denied visitation, you need to turn to an attorney immediately. Not only is this harmful to your child’s mental health, but it goes against the court order you have in place.…

Read More
Should I Hire A Utah Family Law Attorney If I Cannot Pay Child Support?

Should I Hire A Utah Family Law Attorney If I Cannot Pay Child Support? When a marriage ends, many times children still need to be raised. Most times during divorce proceedings, arrangements are made for one party to pay child support to the spouse who has been given primary custody. However, in many cases child support payments are not made, prompting further legal action by the custodial spouse in an effort to collect the money. If you find yourself unable to make child support payments, hiring an attorney is often a smart decision. While each case is different, many times…

Read More

*Child Welfare Law Specialist Nat’l Assoc. of Counsel for Children